1. What’s your name and title/business name? Where are you located, city, state, country location?
Hi everyone, my name is Nicola Canarecci, i’m 30 and i live in the centre of Italy, in a small city near Ancona named Chiaravalle.
2. What’s your educational and professional background, i.e., college, professional school, high school, apprenticeship, etc.?
I studied at the scientific high school, then i studied graphic design at the Poliarte of Ancona. I start drawing letters in 2004/2005 with graffiti, at the age of 16 (very late ahah!). I keep trying to evolve my style and letters since then. I approach calligraphy art a couple of years ago, as i saw that there are many common things between graffiti handstyle and calligraphy lettering. After a lot of practice and studying, i moved the focus on typography art, signpainting, 3d letters etc. [which] i think are a very interesting arts.
3. Preferred tool(s) and medium?
I always use pen/pencil of course, as the brushes. But i love using spray paint. I think is an amazing tool, of course if the size of the work allows to use it… Maybe it could be a little [difficult] at the beginning, as you have to combine different factor to make the lines perfect and clean… but i love it!
4. Where or how do you “recharge your creative battery,” i.e., books, blogs, music, art, exercise, meditation, prayer, hobbies, interests, etc.?
For me, drawing letters is a passion and an outburst. I always have less free time to spend drawing, so every time that i can, i [really] enjoy that moment.
5. Tell us something about you that might surprise or delight us.
Ahah i don’t know! Maybe that i hate the ipad-lettering artists? The procreate artists? You know…Hand made it means made with your hands, not by a software in a tablet.
I hope you enjoy my works and this interview, many thanks to Alex and to letteringguy.com! Cheers!