1. What’s your name and title/business name? Where are you located, city, state, country location?
Hello! My name is Lisa Perrin. I am and illustrator and designer. I am originally from Long Island NY, but these days live in Cleveland, OH just a stone’s throw from the shores of Lake Erie.
2. What’s your educational and professional background, i.e., college, professional school, high school, apprenticeship, etc.?
I loved school and wanted to study everything! I went to college at SUNY New Paltz where I earned a BA in English, as well as a BFA in Painting. Later, I pursued my MFA in Illustration Practice from MICA. It was there that I really found my voice as an illustrator. After that I taught Intro to Illustration to freshman students at MICA when a recruiter from American Greetings came for portfolio reviews. I was hired to be an in-house artist at their creative studios. While at AG I had the great privilege to learn lettering from a master, Martha Ericson. I feel very fortunate!
3. Preferred tool(s) and medium?
I create most of my final illustrations digitally, using Adobe Photoshop on a Wacom Cintiq. But everything starts for me with paper and pencil, tracing, and scanning. Once I have the composition worked out, I can take things digital for final. When I am making work for myself I enjoy painting in gouache and acrylic.
4. Where or how do you “recharge your creative battery,” i.e., books, blogs, music, art, exercise, meditation, prayer, hobbies, interests, etc.?
That’s a great question! I believe its very important to ‘be a person too’ and not just an art machine! I work full time and then freelance the rest of the time, so maintaining a healthy work/ life balance is a struggle for me. I try to make time to do things I love. For example, I am in an improv theater troupe and we have rehearsals and performances. Its a wonderful break from sitting at my desk! I also love theater, and seeing theater is important to me. I’m also a rummager, and I enjoy looking around thrift stores and flea markets!
5. Tell us something about you that might surprise or delight us.
I have a pet rabbit named Blanche DuBun! She has been my furry companion for seven years now 🙂