Excerpt from the newsletter I received, “To celebrate and showcase the finest calligraphy worldwide, and to recognize craftsmanship and creative excellence in the letter arts, you are invited to participate in Review 2017.
This is a call for traditional and nontraditional lettering, calligraphy, type design, letter carving, graphic design, book art and fine art which employs hand lettering or calligraphic marks as a major element. Works created since January 1, 2015, are eligible (except those previously published in Letter Arts Review). All works selected will be published in Review 2017 (Vol. 32 Issue 1, to be published in 2018).”
Call for Entries. Letter Arts Review Annual 2017
- What to send: Photographs or digital prints or prints from your own computer or offset lithographic prints must be sent for all entries. Slides or transparencies will not be accepted this year. We also do not accept entries by e-mail. Entries will not be returned. Do not send original artwork.
- What else to include: Entry form and fee must accompany all entries. We will e-mail you when we receive your entry. Please be aware that, due to many entries arriving in the weeks preceding the deadline, notification may be slightly delayed.
- Label each image. Write a code number with ballpoint pen or permanent marker on each image. An image’s code is the first four letters of your family name followed by the number of your entry. For example, if your name is Marie Angel, and you are sending three entries, the entries will be labeled: ANGE1; ANGE2; ANGE3. For detail shots of the same entry, the code is ANGE1a, ANGE1b, etc. Write TOP at the top front of each image. Do not attach form to image.
- Works in languages other than English: Please provide a translation and/or brief description of the text used in your piece.
- Entries outside the USA: Packages from outside the US should be marked “Material for contest entry. No commercial value.” US customs or airport pickup cannot be provided.
- Notification: The jurors will meet in early September to make their selections. We will notify you by e-mail (or by regular mail) by the middle of November to let you know whether your work has been selected.
- If your work is selected by the jurors: We may ask you to have your work re-photographed by a professional art photographer to provide the best image for reproduction. We will also ask you to provide a brief biography. Each selected entrant will receive a complimentary copy of Review 2017.
- Fees: Single Entry: $15US, $15CAN, £8.75, 10,50€. (Multiple openings of a book or detail shots are considered one entry.) Quantity Discount: $10US each, $10CAN each, £5.75 each, 7€ each. Applies to four or more entries produced and submitted in one package by a single artist.
- Payment methods: US, Canadian, British entries may be paid by check or money order payable to John Neal (not Letter Arts Review). See entry form for further details and other payment options.
- Call for Entry Questions? E-mail calderhead12 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Entries must arrive by September 1, 2017 . Submission of an entry to Review 2017 acknowledges the right of Letter Arts Review to use the image for publication and promotional purposes, and that any permission to publish text or image has been obtained by the entrant.
For more information, please click here to view/download the entry form.
Send to arrive by September 1, 2017 to:
Christopher Calderhead · Review 2016 · 3075 33rd St, Apt 4A · Astoria · NY 11102 · USA