1. Your name(s) and title/business name? City and country location?
2. How did you meet and get started?
We met through Instagram and decided to start a lettering club to build the creative community in our city. After months of planning events, we began to realize the potential for a business and launched our website and online shop. Having similar skill sets and interests, we started working on freelance projects together which propelled San Diego Letters into our full time jobs!
3. Do you have a sign or design specialty or special style that makes you relatively unique? If so, what?
We are known for our bold colors and hand lettering that has lots of personality. We try to illustrate with typography, whether that be conveying the feeling of happiness, power, warmth…whatever the project needs.
4. Preferred tool(s) and medium?
All of our work starts out with pencil on paper. We then trace with microns or sharpies. Depending on the project, we scan our work into the computer and use Illustrator to vectorize it. We primarily design murals, logos, paper products, etc. You can see some of our work at www.sandiegoletters.com.
5. What’s your educational background, i.e., college, professional school, high school, apprenticeship, etc.?
Phoebe went to Tyler School of Art, Temple University for Graphic Design and has a background in the action sports industry. Roxy went to The Art Institute here in San Diego for Graphic Design and has a background in fine art.
6. Where or how do you “recharge your creative battery,” i.e., books, blogs, music, art, exercise, meditation, prayer, hobbies, interests, etc.?
We just started a podcast called “Drunk on Lettering” and it’s been a great release (check it out on Soundcloud or iTunes). It’s really inspiring to have the opportunity to talk to talented letterers each week. We also recharge our batteries by scrolling through Instagram and Pinterest, exercising, and drinking lots of wine.
7. Tell us something about you that might surprise or delight us.
We watch The Bachelor/Bachelorette religiously. We think top sheets are lame. Phoebe ripped her pants dancing in Barcelona once. Roxy eats popcorn almost everyday. Phoebe is from Philadelphia originally (even though she looks like she grew up in Encinitas). Roxy has 13 tattoos, Phoebe has 0. Roxy is a cat lady. Meow meow. A squirrel mask appears in most of our photoshoots. And we are working on world domination.