1. Your name and title/business name?
You can find my site at http://www.decalex.ink
and you can find me on Snapchat: Decalex
2. Do you have a specialty or special style that makes you relatively unique? If so, what?
My specialty, I’d say, is my own flavor of Copperplate which continues to evolve. But I enjoy practicing variations of Italic, Gothic and other broad edge styles as well.
3. What’s your educational background, i.e., college, professional school, high school, apprenticeship, etc.?
I have a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting and Information Systems, but was trained and had worked as a Graphic Designer in the past. I’ve been a Project Manager for a number of years and many of my projects have been design related.
4. Preferred tool(s) and medium?
My go-to tools are: Nikko G and Leonard Principal EF nibs, oblique pen holders, and Sumi ink. I enjoy practicing on Rhodia Dot pads.
5. Where or how do you “recharge your creative battery,” i.e., books, blogs, music, art, exercise, meditation, prayer, hobbies, interests, etc.?
The works of past Penman, especially George Bickham really inspire me. I have a few of his books and prints and often study them for that creative kick in the pants. I also have a handful of Calligraphers that I follow on Instagram who have beautiful style and astonishing work.
The vast majority of my social media following is on Snapchat. Given that “snaps” are only up for 24 hours and it is challenging to keep an audience engaged, it provides a TON of motivation to continually improve and do so every night. I often get the audience involved by incorporating games and contests into my Snapchat stories.
6. Tell us something about you that might surprise or delight us.
Minus a day or two for emergencies, I’ve been writing and displaying my Calligraphy practice on Snapchat every night for about two years.
In addition to Calligraphy, I practice Piano for 1/2 hour minimum per day and like to always be in the process of learning a new (classical) piece. I play guitar and bass as well, and music is a very important part of my life.
My username: Decalex actually comes from my old band in Los Angeles, which was called Decal (Decal + Alex). It’s a handle I’ve had for a long time and never imagined people would ever say it out loud (pronounced Dee-Calex).
Thanks very much for the interview!