When I find extraordinary work that catches my eye I have to learn about the artist. Calligrapher Christopher Jones’ work left me wanting to see more of his work. His letters and flourishes have an ease and flow that knocked me out. I had to learn more from the man who crafted such elegant, lively and technically expert letters and flourishes.
1. Your name and title/business name?
Christopher Jones, currently my business is Christopher Jones Calligraphy and Design
2. Do you have a specialty or special style? How would you describe it?
My favorite style of calligraphy is Spencerian Script. I think it is an extremely elegant style and difficult to master. I might add that as I’ve been studying the discipline, I’ve found that the script is an American style developed by Spencer Pratt I believe, who happens to be from my home state of Ohio! Anyone that can produce this script shows a certain amount of dedication as not only beautiful but difficult to execute well.
3. What’s your educational background, i.e., college, professional school, high school, apprenticeship, etc.?
Educated in the public school system of Shaker Heights, Ohio, and studied visual communications at Art Institute of Atlanta, also I am a self taught calligrapher, shout out to IAMPETH.
4. Preferred tool(s) and medium?
I prefer a fine point nib Principal EF, however I am leaning more toward brushes lately and not limiting myself I do find that gouache is most effective medium for lettering. I always start with graphite layouts.
5. Where or how do you “recharge your creative battery,” i.e., books, blogs, music, art, exercise, meditation, prayer, hobbies, interests, etc.?
I love studying the masters both current and past. My battery is always charged as I love all art especially when significant meaning to a particular thought that is uplifting is illustrated. My hobbies are cooking, baking, tennis, and some video games like Madden, and cartooning especially Manga style.
6. Tell us something about you that might surprise or delight us.
Well I am a full time dining room Captain in a popular downtown Atlanta restaurant and I’ve been in this industry since 1981. I am an energetic 58 year old with and I love technology (even though I’ve got a lot to learn)