Chance brought me to the work of Kasi Turpin. I was taken by her lettering explorations. Kasi courageously goes with humor where her hand and heart take her.
1. Your name and title/business name?
Kasi Turpin- Owner of Hello Happy Print Co
2. Do you have a specialty or special style that makes you relatively unique? If so, what?
I think my work is pretty diverse. I wouldn’t say I have a speciality but typography is a huge passion for me. I love experimenting with new techniques, styles and mediums ! There is no end to exploration.
3. What’s your educational background, i.e., college, professional school, high school, apprenticeship, etc.?
University of Dayton – Bachelor in Visual Communication Design
4. Preferred tool(s) and medium?
I really love just a plain pencil. There is something about the shading, impermanence about a simple tool.
5. Where or how do you “recharge your creative battery,” i.e., books, blogs, music, art, exercise, meditation, prayer, hobbies, interests, etc.?
I really recharge my creative battery by reading and listening to a lot of music. Music is a big creative boost for me. It always makes me want to create something. I also always plan a trip to the good ol’ Pacific ocean every now and then. Nothing like the salty air and a little hiking.
6. Tell us something about you that might surprise or delight us.
I just started exploring hand lettering about two years ago. I try to do something everyday. I actually have HORRIBLE messy handwriting. I love to draw and I think I see the letters as shapes. It really is a mediative part of my day.