Commitment, dedication and a bit of obsession come to mind when I see the work of Novia Jonatan. Her pieces are sweet and energetic like her personality that bubbled out of her answers for Lettering Guy.
1. Your name and title/business name/location?
My name is Novia Jonatan and sometimes people on Instagram thought i am a Spanish and if I’m not why would I use the moniker of Novia and i found myself repeatedly explain to them that I am an Indonesian and my first name is actually pretty common for a girl here. I was born and raised in the sunny and extremely humid city of Jakarta, Indonesia.
2. Do you have a specialty or special style that makes you relatively unique? If so, what?
I know I feel most comfortable with script lettering and flourishes, I love to see what others do with serif letters, but my hand feels itchy if I didn’t add some kind of swashes to a letter. I know I’m still far away from what I want my drawings to be, but hey, as Doyald Young said, it takes a lot of time to be able to draw a good letter well.
3. What’s your educational background, i.e., college, professional school, high school, apprenticeship, etc.?
I have a bachelor degree in Visual Communication Design that practically have nothing to do with my typography interest. The typography program in my university was suck a big time, I can ramble about it but then it would make me sound more boring than I already am. :p I learn by doing and practicing a lot. I still draw until 3 am most days.
4. Preferred tool(s) and medium?
I always use mechanical pencil with 4b lead in a piece of wood-free paper, oh, and I had to have some kind of movie playing in the background. Right now I’m in my 3rd time of marathoning Elementary.
5. Where or how do you “recharge your creative battery,” i.e., books, blogs, music, art, exercise, meditation, prayer, hobbies, interests, etc.?
Some days when I feel like everything I do is just a crap and I’m going nowhere, I’ll just sleep, or hanging out with my friends, going places. And I read motivational quotes like a lot and then sleep some more.
6. Tell us something about you that might surprise or delight us.
Uh, I would really love to see my artwork tattooed in somebody’s body one day. It would be a really big honor for me. 🙂 oh, and I cannot draw (like illustrating stuffs), I was and still am so bad, I failed my drawing class :p